Former Woodstock High School - 403 West Court Street
The Town of Woodstock received a confidential, unsolicited proposal in October 2019 for purchase and redevelopment of the former Woodstock High School building located at 403 West Court Street by Echelon Resources Inc.. While the information that was related to the economic development proposal was required to be confidential during the lengthy research and discussion, the proposal is now public and we welcome any questions or comments. Please see the below information for background on the property, the proposal, and view materials from the May 21, 2020 public hearing on the disposition of property.
Site Acquisition History
- 2001 – Shenandoah County School Board moved to County Government Center (continued deterioration of Old School building)
- Fall 2014 – Town completed Woodstock Municipal Office Feasibility Study
- December 2014 – Town acquired property from Shenandoah County Board of Supervisors for $1
- 2015 – Building renovation for a Municipal Office was placed in the Capital Improvement Program (Design/Construction slated for FY 2021-2022)
Interest in School Property by Private Developer
- Late Summer 2019 – Echelon Resources Inc. met with Shenandoah County/Town of Woodstock Staff pertaining to “Bank Building” located at 114 West Court Street (and then subsequently the Woodstock School)
Unsolicited Proposal & Due Diligence Period
- October 2019 – Confidential, Unsolicited Proposal by Echelon Resources Inc.
- November 2019 – Staff Culpeper Lofts Visit/Interview with Charles Rapp (Planner, Town of Culpeper)
- November 2019 – Town Council (Closed Session) meeting with Edwin Gaskin (comprehensive list of questions)
- November/December – Staff Discussions with South Boston/Halifax (references)
- December 2019 – Town Response to Unsolicited Proposal
- December (22) 2019 – Echelon Response/Questions to Town’s Comments
- January (6) 2020 – Town Response to Questions
- January 2020 – Present – Town Council-Staff-Town Attorney Discussions and Review of Purchase Agreement, Initiation of Surveys, Meeting/Hearing Schedule Development with Shenandoah County
Echelon Resources Inc. is proposing to comprehensively redevelop a portion of the former Woodstock High School site into approximately 9 market-rate rental units and related amenities. Echelon believes the site can be renovated into market-rate rental housing serving the area professional and regional retiree. This redevelopment will involve a historic rehabilitation of the structure and replacement of all major systems, fixtures and finishes, while conforming with Historic Tax Credit guidelines. Upon completion of the project Echelon intends to maintain ownership of the property as an owner/manager.
Information pertaining to the developer’s business model and success in other localities can be found at their website, linked in multiple places on this page.
On May 21, 2020 Town Council held an information session and public hearing on the potential disposition of a portion of the public property at 403 West Court Street. For those interested in viewing the meeting video from this meeting, the Town’s presentation on the property’s background, or Echelon Resources Inc.’s presentation, please see the below links.